This article was a product of teamwork between staff members and external contributors.
Coupon Codes & Deals:
Save $50 off Kaabo and EMOVE electric scooters with Code: VROOOMIN
Save $50 off VSETT, Begode, King Song, Segway with Code: VROOOMIN
Get $50 worth of accessories at Apollo scooters with Code: VROOOMIN
Inmotion Releases Investigations and reports to the V13 Cut-out Incident
INMOTION V13 FALLING ACCIDENT REPORT
INMOTION is committed to producing the highest quality products and we take every incident report from our valued customers very seriously. In response to recently reported falling cases of the V13, we communicated with the rider immediately and conducted a thorough investigation based on riding log and details provided by the rider. Here are the detailed info we get:
- The wheel was under hard acceleration before the rider fell off.
- From the video, it was observed that at 73kph, the wheel’s screen displayed a warning icon, and the wheel emitted a beep sound every 5 seconds.
- There were no other abnormalities with the wheel prior to the falling, and the wheel remained on and functional after falling.
At 70kph, the bus current reached 96A, and the total power reached 10kW, triggering software overload detection (software detection condition: an alarm is triggered when the current exceeds 80A for more than 2 seconds).
After overload detection, the wheel automatically takes the following two measures: (1) A warning sound beeps every 5 seconds. (2) The wheel slowly tilts back (V13 considers gentle tilt-back for high-speed safety).
After the wheel began tilting back, the user continued to lean forward,
causing the wheel to tilt further and resulting in an overpowered forward tilt and crash.
In light of the above analysis, INMOTION needs to further improve safety measures, including the following:
1. Update the wheel warning system:
- When the wheel is alarmed, the warning sound will be changed to a more urgent tone, and the warning will continue without a 5-second interval.
- Add sound and vibration alerts to the App so that users connected to the app can hear the prompts via a Bluetooth helmet.
- When the wheel’s lights are off, the front light will flash during an alarm to alert the user.
2. Optimize the tilting experience:
Based on actual experience, optimize the tilting experience and provide clearer reminders to the user.
Feb 17, 2023
Inmotion V13 Rider Merkyu Kyu Kyu, Cuts-Out During High-Speed Ride
I had a cutout at 83 km/h on V13.
I’m 78kg and 175cm.
Did not hear beeps at 70.
I’m OK, thanks to the full-body gear. I have literally 0 injuries.
Im impressed with built quality of V13. Only the replaceable crash bars are damaged.
UPDATE 1: according to the LOG, when the speed reached 70km/h, the current of the wheel has triggered the saturation warning, and the power reached 10kw at this point. I was pushing it too much and overpowered it.
UPDATE 2: Inmotion will release a new update which will drastically improve the alert signalsMerkyu Kyu Kyu
When the wheel is alarmed, the warning sound will be changed to a more urgent tone, and the warning will continue without a 5-second interval. Sound and vibration will alert to the App so that users connected to the app can hear the prompts via a Bluetooth helmet. When the wheel’s lights are off, the front light will flash during an alarm to alert the user.
Based on actual experience, optimize the tilting experience and provide more explicit reminders to the user.
The EUC community is already abuzz with news of the V13 cut-out incident. Merkyu Kyu Kyu seems to push the V13 past its breaking point. Some praise Merkyu for finding the software flaw and pointing out what not to do when riding the V13.
Others have also called the acceleration reckless and that the warning signs were ignored. The high-speed cutout video shows this. Some call it a user error, others an engineering flaw, and Inmotion overstated its performance.
Wasn’t the V13 marketed as the No Cut-Out Wheel?
Did the rider ignore the tilt back and beeps by pushing the wheel too hard despite its warnings? Alternatively, riders may be expected to reduce their throttle when they notice the early cut-out warning signs. At a younger age, my boldness would probably push the wheel as well.
But not these days; painful recovery, missing work, and health care costs aren’t worth it, even with a wheel with these impressive specs.
Riding a EUC is risky, but despite this, we still enjoy it.
I would be careful and ensure that each rider is connected to the wheel before pushing the speed to its limit, especially if traffic is coming at you from all sides. Inmotion is working on a firmware update that will add more audible beeps to fix the problems with cut-out indicators.
I also believe they should educate riders on the different types of beeps and tilt back to expect at different settings and voltages. No one is discussing how much throttle is too much and what can happen if you abuse the acceleration and power. While EUC’ are generally safe and thrilling, they can be quite dangerous if misused.
Always wear safety equipment, pay attention to beeps, and tilt back when you ride.
Rider Error or Engineering Defect?
Inmotion has responded and provided a detailed account of what happened. We’re happy the rider is okay and no serious injuries were caused. It’s also good to know that Inmotion has done its job and looked into the log’s software and hardware problems.
They plan to keep other V13 riders from experiencing similar cut-outs with the new firmware.
Inmotion Motor Bolt Issue
Challenger(V13) Motor Bolt Statement
We are reaching out to inform you of a recent V13 bolt fracture incident. We attached great importance to this and immediately conducted a full investiga- tion based on riding logs and details provided by riders, we found main reasons for this incident are:
1. The angle of the bolt cone head does not match the angle of the inner slide head, resulting in clearance between the screw and the slide.
2. The supplier’s screws fall short of our design requirements, the bolt strength is low, and the bolt is more likely to fracture.
3. The torque is not calibrated when fixing the bolt, the bolt is not tightened either, and it is easy to loosen when used.
The safety of customer is of utmost importance to us and we are committed to do our best to ensure your safety. Here are the detailed solutions we provide:
1. Ask the supplier to change the angle of the bolt cone head to 90° as required based on our design, and provide taper detection report.
2. The supplier shall be required to control the bolt strength level, and the subse- quent bolts shall be 12.9. At the same time, the supplier shall provide the failure torque report, yield strength and tensile strength report, hardness report of this bolt.
3. Strictly control the bolt pretightening torque (18N.m) during factory assembly and conduct the pretightening force test for each bolt.
4. Optimize the bolt structure and eliminate the screw thread at 3mm of the root of the bolt cone head to reduce stress concentration. The bolt length is shortened by 3mm to prevent stuck issue when screwing into the threaded hole.INMOTION TEAM
Also, all subsequent manufacturing will be in accordance with the latest scheme. All stock will be done over. For unsold wheels that have been shipped out already, our distributor will replace the bolts uniformly. If you purchased from distributor, we suggest to replace by yourselves or simply sent it back to the distributor for replacement.
We deeply apologizes for the inconvenience this may cause to you but this is to ensure that INMOTION continues to deliver the highest quality products. Also, we are working closely with our distributor to ensure the replacement experience is as convenient and efficient as possible.
With deep appreciation,
Feb 21, 2023
2023 Electric Scooters:
- Got a minute? Take a quick 4 question survey to help improve VROOOMIN.COM
- North America: For quality electric scooters and customer service, visit MiniMotors USA, eWheels, Bluetran USA, Rev Rides, Ubran Machina, and Voro Motors.
2023 Electric Unicycles:
Coupons & Deals:
- Save $50 off Kaabo and EMOVE electric scooters with Coupon Code: VROOOMIN
- Apollo Scooters: Get $50 USD worth of free accessories, upgrades, or spare parts with the purchase of a scooter. Code: VROOOMIN
- REV Rides: Save $50 off Scooters and EUC's, Code: VROOOMIN
- Save 5% off Armor-Dilloz Code: VROOOMIN05
- Save $50 off EMOVE Cruiser Electric Scooter Coupon Code: VROOOMIN
- EVOLV Electric Scooters: Free Folding Lock (worth C$80) for every EVOLV model! Use Code: VROOOMIN-LOCK
To keep the site running and information flowing, Vrooomin.com participates in affiliate linking programs. We're also an Amazon Associate, which means we get paid for referring people to Amazon. Please support the channel by clicking on our links.