Steering dampers are a must-have on all high-performance electric scooters.
- Every electric scooter I’ve ever ridden (Zero’s, Kaabos, Dualtrons, etc) has unstable and loose front ends.
- To minimize this, aftermarket vendors have borrowed the concept of dampers from the motorcycle scene and brought them over into the electric scooter universe.
Once you’ve ridden an electric scooter with a steering damper, you will never go back to riding without one.
The idea is simple; most modern electric scooters utilize a similar headset, bearing, pole, and handlebar design. The approaches on an electric scooter allow the riders to rotate the motor and side arms, which steers the scooter left and right smoothly, but often loosely; there isn’t any resistance to control the steering.
If I’m going +30mph and ride over an uneven patch, my handlebars could swing left or right, which could lead to loss of control, which is not good, especially if we’re riding 30+mph to full speed. For an inexperienced rider, the instability could lead to loss of power and, ultimately, a fall.
How can I stabilize my electric scooter, especially when riding at higher speeds?
To solve this issue, electric scooter after-market companies such as BPM, Scooter Mania, Ken Sonken, and Dualtron Russia have designed, engineered, and produced damper brackets to stabilize the front end of high-performance electric scooters.
The concept is simple: the brackets attach to the deck, and the headset of the scooter, and between the brackets is the hydraulic damper, which adds resistance to the steering. In contrast, it adds stability to the headset and bearings.
Riders can change their damper settings from soft to complex depending on their road conditions and riding preferences.
On the hard setting, the damper/handlebars of the scooter will be substantial; this is great if you’re traveling at fast speeds in a straight line. In the soft setting, the damper/handlebars of the scooter will have a weaker resistance but will allow you to go at high speeds, with a secure and stable front end that does not wobble.
Most new riders will not notice this until they ride a scooter with a damper.
The damper kit can be purchased from BPM on AliExpress:
Benefits of Steering Damper:
- Stabilizes front end of escooter
- Absorb abrupt steering movement that could lead to loss of control
- Reduces speed wobble at higher speeds
- Stabilization is controlled through a knob on the damper (I like to adjust this at stop lights or stop signs if needed)
- Upgrade is expensive but worth it!
- Pipe for leverage
- Soft handle object (Mallet)
- Dualtron Tool Hex Key (8MM)
- T Handle Hex keys
- Elbow Grease
The steering damper and mount by BPM/Kwheel is highly recommended. I’ve put over 2000 miles on this damper, no issue of ware and tare. I highly recommend this company. One thing to note is there were not any instructions. This article and video will help guide the installation process.
- Total Cost: $206
- Shipping & Delivery: About 26 days
- Installation Time: 1 hour for first timers
- Unscrew the deck
- Remove Steering Bolt and Mud Guard – use the L-shaped hex key, add the 8mm converter on top of it, use the pipe for more leverage when turning the steering bolt under the mudguard
- Attach rear bracket and damper to Deck
- Attach front bracket and damper to stem
- Tighten steering bolt to stem
- Adjust damper settings, and you’re all done!
You may also like:
Disclaimer: The information presented in this article is derived from extensive research, user reviews, and publicly available information. Our aim is to provide accurate and up-to-date content; however, it is crucial to understand that the opinions expressed are based on the information available at the time of writing. We strongly encourage readers to conduct their own thorough research and carefully evaluate their individual needs before making any purchasing decisions.eWheels 2023 Summer Deals and New Launches are here!!! Cheap, reliable, and powerful! TurboAnt Electric Scooters 2023 Sale!
2023 Electric Unicycles:
Coupons & Deals:
- Save $50 off Kaabo and EMOVE electric scooters with Coupon Code: VROOOMIN
- Apollo Scooters: Get $50 USD worth of free accessories, upgrades, or spare parts with the purchase of a scooter. Code: VROOOMIN
- REV Rides: Save $50 off Scooters and EUC's, Code: VROOOMIN
- Save 5% off Armor-Dilloz Code: VROOOMIN05
- Save $50 off EMOVE Cruiser Electric Scooter Coupon Code: VROOOMIN
- EVOLV Electric Scooters: Free Folding Lock (worth C$80) for every EVOLV model! Use Code: VROOOMIN-LOCK
To keep the site running and information flowing, Vrooomin.com participates in affiliate linking programs. We're also an Amazon Associate, which means we get paid for referring people to Amazon. Please support the channel by clicking on our links.